We'll start broad-
Graduate vs. Undergraduate:
1. Fewer parties. I went straight into grad school after undergrad - most of my friends are in their last semester of college- it is hard to be "grown up" and responsible when there is a constant party to attend.
2. More pages. There is a shit ton of reading and though most of it is far more interesting than the Chinese Civilization GE I took freshman year, it is still a lot. I spend Friday feeling fried and proceed to avoid reading anything of substance until at least Friday night.
3. Above all else some simple rules will still apply: First - group meetings will always take longer than you want and be less productive than you want. Second - on any given day, in any given class there is always "that guy" that makes you insane for whatever reason. Third - finding a groove for getting work done always takes too long and something inevitably screws it up.
And Narrow-
APOC:
1. I feel like some people are still skeptical of the interwebs being awesome. I completely disagree and thought that these individuals were looking for answers in the wrong places, but now I realize their thoughts are useful as user stories. Different perspectives are necessary and will prove helpful in building communities later.
2. I still haven't found what I am looking for. The question of what I want to be when I grow up still hasn't been clarified. I often feel like I am the only person in the room that doesn't have an interest already. Consultant? lulz.
3. I often feel like my friends are better at the internet than I am and should be talking about all of this stuff. Too bad they aren't interested and think I am studying lolcats for a master's.
An aside on knowing what I want to do post program: I really hope that taking a couple internships over the summer will allow me to sort of figure out what it is that I want to do. Many of my friends are entering the job market this summer (with more economy worries than their bodies have room for) and I am becoming increasingly concerned that I won't know what jobs to apply for. How do you shop a resume that says you are good at the internets?
I don't really have much else to say for this week. I am really looking forward to this module. I think the people part of online communities is where my interests really lie.
AND FINALLY: Read This
**EDIT 03-10-08**
Heather commented with this video:

4 comments:
Yep, it's like Charlton Heston said in Soylent Green, "It's PEOPLE!" Similarly, Web 2.0 Is people!!
I need to read this blog more often. I learn (never heard of LOLcat before). I laugh (Powerthirst, tee hee). Don't worry, I' m twice your age and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
I sent you that NYT link, I think.
Also, watch this YouTube video about "Web 2.0" by some anthro professor from KSU. You will enjoy it.
Post a Comment