Monday, April 21, 2008

Welcome To The Dark Side, We Have Cookies

Last Tuesday my computer of approximately one billion years died. So on Friday I got a sleek 15 inch MacBook Pro.

The Conversion:
So far it does not seem all that different than my PC. The real adjustment is basically in learning hot keys and knowing where my downloads are going. I think I have pretty much got that figured out. Mostly, I am finding it difficult to sit down and use the new computer as a tool instead of a new toy. I want to try all of the cool new things instead of getting my work done. Hopefully as I get more into creating my presentations I can play with more features as part of getting work done.

The Pluses:
The program "Spaces" has made my life approximately 100% better. I do not know how I functioned without multiple desktops. I love having a built in webcam and microphone. I was able to Skype with one of my best friends who is studying abroad in Scotland this afternoon. I love the Dock feature to organize programs. The Spotlight feature is also pretty awesome, I just can never remember what hot key to press to access it.

The Minuses:
I keep forgetting that the Control button doesn't do the same stuff as it does on a PC. I couldn't figure out how to compress the file size of a jpeg without zipping it (I think I have figured it out now). My iTunes disagrees with me about if I am allowed to play my purchased music on this new computer. It appears that I must deactivate my old one, which will be near impossible because it doesn't turn on anymore. I think I have a long chat with Apple on the horizon. And Finally, my trackpad is large and I often make extraneous clicks on accident. I am getting better at that so far.

In closing the minuses are all things that I just need time to figure out. I may find later that there are bigger more conceptual minuses to converting to the dark side.

I may need to get an iPhone now... lol. Becoming a mac person seems like a slippery slope of wanting everything to sync.

Also I may have to take a bunch of photos of myself with all of the dumb effects that PhotoBooth has. Don't be surprised if I post some pictures of me distorted and in colored pencil effect to the facebook soon.

No comments: